Founding of IlliDell
IlliDell Cooperative Fraternity dates back to spring 1949. Twenty University of Illinois students, seeking a less expensive living alternative, and an interested faculty member, Mr. Warren Goodell, purchased a house located at 706 S. Goodwin. Each student contributed $100, and Mr. Goodell put up the remaining $3,000 for the down payment. To honor his generosity, the last part of IlliDell's name comes from his, with the first part coming from "Illinois."
In spring 1961, IlliDell purchased a new house at 801 W. Nevada, because the original house required extensive repairs. At this house that we met our house parents, Ralph and Loreena Ivens. Mr. and Mrs. Ivens were neighbors and "adopted" the entire IlliDell house as their own. When IlliDell outgrew their house, the Ivens allowed them to use an adjacent house they owned to house the extra men. It became known as "The Other Place," or OP. In spring 1974, the city deemed the house in Urbana in violation of several codes. Necessary repairs were too expensive, and there was the tempting prospect of building a new house. The meeting to close IlliDell was supposed to be held, but the property at 303 E. Chalmers, IlliDell's current home, was found for sale just in time. The house was purchased from Chi Phi Fraternity, and IlliDell moved in the fall of 1979.
IlliDell Joins Alpha Gamma Sigma
In fall of 1980, IlliDell was approached by Alpha Gamma Sigma, a national agricultural fraternity. IlliDell joined, with the condition that we would be known as the IlliDell Chapter, on January 24, 1981. IlliDell enjoys a strong bond between its members and an uncommon sense of cooperation.
New Complex on Chalmers
New complex at 303 E Chalmers
The property at 303 E Chalmers was redeveloped into a multi-million-dollar, state-of-the-art, apartment complex, complete with fraternal space below, in 2021. This first-of-its-kind concept allows our members to combine luxury apartment living with the benefits of Greek life.